The bullet points below show the main points needed to answer a question similar to that shown. The example of the Bangladesh, which is an LEDC, has been used.
"People who live near the coast may suffer from coastal flooding. Explain the causes of this coastal flooding and how people have tried to prevent flooding of this coastal area happening"
Causes of flooding:
- In 1991 - April 29th, a very large cyclone was "funnelled" down the Bay of Bengal. This was due to a low pressure area - higher sea levels - surge flooding... (140,000 died)
- Snow melt from Himalayas
- Deforestation - more water in rivers - more sediment build up - higher risk of flooding
- Very heavy rain
What has been done to try and prevent the flooding happening again:
- Mangrove swamps being planted off coast to increase amount of land that makes storm surges etc... lose their energy
- Embankments have been built to protect coast - more importantly, they have been maintained.
- Efficient early warning system
- Large concrete shelters built above flood levels to protect people - strong enough to withstand strong winds.