The bullet points below show the main points needed to answer a question similar to that shown. The example of the Turks migrating to West Germany has been used.
"Choose an international migration you have studied. Explain why the migrants were attracted to the country they settled in and describe the problems that the migration caused for that country."
Reasons for migrating:
Problems caused for the country that accepted the migrants:
- Turkey has limited industry
- The migrants expected a better life in Germany – jobs, pay, health etc...
- Turks could help in the rebuilding of Germany after the war
- When economy slowed down there were problems – fewer jobs available
- Migrants were therefore not needed anymore and so unemployment was high
- Racial unrest – Turks were supposedly taking the jobs that the native Germans should have
- 1989 – Berlin wall fell – East Germans worked for low pay, therefore there was a conflict between East Germans and Turks